In almost all my recipes, I make ingredients swaps to turn indulgent favourites into healthy indulgent favourites: from muffins to pancakes to brownies and beyond. In fact, I actually find it impossible to follow any recipe ingredient-for-ingredient, and always find myself making subs as I go.
Basically, the “bad guys” to sub out are white flour, refined sugar and unhealthy fats.
Lose: White flour
- Wholewheat flour (try Pecan and Persimmon Whole Wheat Muffins)
- Almond flour
- Chickpea flour
- Pureed black beans (especially in brownies)
- Pureed chickpeas (try these Amazeballs)
- Oats (try these Sugar Free NutterButter Cookies)
- Herbalife Formula 1 (try 3 Ingredient Pancakes)
Lose: Refined sugar
- Dates (try these Yin Yang Balls or Oatmeal Date Cookies)
- Mashed Banana (try Low fat, Sugar Free Muffins)
- Applesauce (try Low Fat, Sugar Free Bananabread)
- Honey (try Lemon Yoghurt Cake)
- Stevia (try Avocado Chocolate Mousse)
- Most fruits will work, depending on the recipe. Have fun experimenting!
Lose: Unhealthy fats
- Avocado (try Breakfast Brownies)
- Yoghurt (try Lemon Yogurt Cake/ Yogurt Health Bread)
- Mashed Apples/Banana
More Healthy Substitutes:
Substitute Series: 8 Tips for Healthier Cooking
Substitute: Ditch the Diet!