Eggplant, aubergine, brinjal… whatever the name, it taste the same! And it’s goood!
- 1 ginormous/ 2 medium/ 3 puny eggplants
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- black and cayenne pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Grated cheddar/parmesan/ feta/ other cheese of choice
Start off by slicing the aubergine into 5mm (no less, no more, or the recipe will flop for sure) slice. Rub with salt, pepper, 1 tsp. oregano and leave to relax (if a dismembered, salted eggplant can in fact feel relaxed).
Meanwhile, fry up the onion, garlic and oregano until onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and spinach.
Cheat’s version: Use tomato and onion mix. It’s Monday, totally allowed.
While those are on the go, give the eggplant a rubbin’ with some olive oil and grill the slices.
When the sauce has simmered and the eggplant is slivered, it’s time to stack.
- Eggplant/aubergine/brinjal slice
- A good slather of homemade hummus (Recipe here)
- The tomato sauce
- Top with cheese of choice
Other Meatfree Monday Ideas:
- Brupper Omelet with Fresh Herbs
- 10 Minute Healthy Cheatza Pizza
- Chickpea, Butternut and Spinach Curry
- Super Easy Avocado Cream Pasta
- 2 minute Peppadew and Feta Dip
- Butternut, Chickpea, and Coriander Fritters
- Veggie Scramble Wrap
- Homemade Health Bread and Butternut Soup