Clever, clever cauliflower makes for a brilliant low-calorie substitute in some of your favourite carby treats. Meat-Free Monday friendly to boot!
- 1 Large Cauliflower Head
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Black Pepper
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth ( Chicken Broth Works Too)
Calorie count-up: about 50 per cup vs about 200 for “normal” mash.
(Easy on the butter there, Fatty!)
- 340g raw cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 1 large free-range egg
- 75g low-fat mozzarella cheese, grate 50g and slice the remaining 25g for the topping
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules or powder
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 210 degrees C and line a baking tray with wax paper or spritz with spray n cook.
Grate the cauliflower or give it a pulse in a food processor (don’t get too keen and puree it!). TIP: the cauliflower must be 100% dry – use paper towels or peg onto the washing line before you go to work. I prefer using raw cauliflower, but you can cook it after grating if you like – make sure to dry it afterwards.
Place the cauli crumbs in a bowl with the other ingredients and mix well to make a fairly stiff dough.
If you’re a pizza perfectionist, pat the dough into a circle on the tray; if not, just pat. (About 1.5cm thick) Spray the top with cooking spray and back for 15-20 min until golden. You can then add toppings of choice (see some healthy ideas here), and bake for another 10 min or so.
3. No-Grain Rice that’s twice as nice
Calorie count up-83 per cup vs about 200 per cup: a No-Grain No-Brainer
- 1 head organic cauliflower, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Additional seasonings as desired (ex. seasoning mixes)
- Spanish Cauliflower Rice – add red pepper flakes + 1/4 cup salsa + diced tomatoes + jalepenos + coriander
- Curry Cauliflower Rice – add curry powder seasoning + freshly grated ginger + red chilis + fresh lime juice
- Fried Cauliflower Rice – add scrambled egg + sesame seeds + fresh grated ginger + soy sauce
- Italian Cauliflower Rice – add dried oregano + fresh basil + diced sundried tomatoes + diced red onion