Meat Free Magic…
- 400 g butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1-2 cm cubes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin cooked chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 40 gr (1/3 cup) polenta/oats/flour (or breadcrumbs) plus extra for coating
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Heat oven to 190 degrees. On a baking tray, toss the butternut with honey, olive oil and cinnamon, then roast for 15-20 min. (Monday cheat’s version: Microwave the butternutty buggers). While you wait for the butternut to cook, mix all the other ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cooked butternut and mash lightly (leave a couple o’ chunks).
If you have the time and patience, refrigerate the mixture for an hour so that it will firm up and be easier to work with; then form the mixture into patties and roll in polenta/breadcrumbs. TIP: Crushed cornflakes also work very well (this is what I used).
Heat about 1/2 cm of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan until hot then turn it down to medium and cook the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
Serve with salad and some onion marmalade. I also drizzled mine with coconut milk (fancy).
- Brupper Omelet with Fresh Herbs
- 10 Minute Healthy Cheatza Pizza
- Chickpea, Butternut and Spinach Curry
- Super Easy Avocado Cream Pasta
- 2 minute Peppadew and Feta Dip
- Everything’s better with butter